Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

51 Fiveone Degrees @ Toa Payoh North


OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

There was this particular day where I felt terribly lousy at work and so I went around TPY area in search of this 51 degrees bakery. Turns out that it's located right opposite SPH and beside my favourite nasi padang stall!
I saw the raving reviews of the pandan chiffon cake from their facebook page and decided to give it a try. Me being the glutton, could not resist the tempting cupcakes on display and I ordered 2 cupcakes and a tart to share with my colleagues.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

51 degrees
Salted caramel (left) & Dark Grey cupcakes - $3.50 each

The salted caramel cupcake is light, fluffy and the moist level is just right. A pity I forgot to take a picture of the caramel filling but it's  darn good! The caramel is thick and gooey and it's sinful to the max with the cupcake. Topped with the buttercream drizzled with caramel... So satisfying!
The Dark grey cupcake is chocolate based which is more moist and dense than the caramel cupcake. I actually prefer this because the earl grey core, which is not too sweet, was a refreshing change from the usual favourites. I like the crunchy chocolate topping and there's this subtle sexy appeal with the gold powder at the top of the cupcakes.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Lemon Meringue Tart - $2.80
Oh I love love love this!! The sweetness of the meringue plus the zesty creamy lemon custard with the crusty tart is an awesome combination. So perfect for a midday snack. You must try it when you are there! The only drawback about this is the size. :( Wished it would be more generous!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

51 degrees
Pandan Chiffon cake - $12+

I heard that the pandan chiffon cakes (which I'm eating as i am typing now) are always sold out before end of the day! And true enough, when I went during lunchtime, there's only left with 1. I could understand the hype for this cake because you can literally taste the lurrrve as you savour each mouthful of the soft and moist and fluffy pandan cake. 1 slice was definitely not enough for me! I would say that it's quite worth it for $12+ as the portion is very big and could serve my family of 4 for a few days' of breakfast. ;)

Turns out the baker is only 22 years old and she opened the bakery about 2 years ago. I really admire her passion in baking awesome cakes and tarts and the courage to open a shop at such a young age! I hope more people will get to know about this bakery and support her!

I think i shall be doing a post of comparison of the different cupcakes in Singapore next time. ;)

51 Fiveone Degrees
Blk 203 Toa Payoh North #01-1113 S(310203)
Tel : 6526 9328
51 Degrees FB page
51 Degrees website
Operating hours:
Mon-Fri : 11.55am - 8.55pm
Sat - Sun : Closed

No comments:

Post a Comment